I traveled to California with my (then) boyfriend and his family...
I got engaged to that boy on the Golden Gate Bridge...
I completed my senior project in radio broadcasting...
I graduated from Northwestern College...
I got my first "grown up" job...
I moved into my first apartment...
And most importantly, I got married to my best friend in the world.
Most people will look at that list and say that I had a pretty freaking awesome year... but I know that something was missing. A part of me was missing, the part of me that made life exciting and made me joyful. I could tell, and I'm sure those close to me could as well, that I was, to be horribly cliche, missing my "spark." That spark that made me... well, me. The spark that made me adventurous, spontaneous, spunky and unique. But why? Why did that part of me disappear?
Basically, I got lazy... but not exactly in the sense that most people think of the word. In the sense that most of my time was spent working at either my desk job during the week or my barista job on the weekend, and when I wasn't working I was "relaxing" (which basically meant sitting on the couch watching TV, browsing blogs or reading a book). In order to fill the desire I had for relaxation and time to myself, I began to neglect, even avoid, time with friends, rarely did fun things outside of my apartment and basically became a hermit.
Two days ago I realized that something in my life needed to change. And it needed to change fast.
Thus, I have decided that this year needs to be the best year of my whole freaking life.
And so, after much thought and reflection I have decided to blog myself through the year 2011... and a list of 101 adventures I am committed to completing over the next 361 days. Some are more serious than others but each one made this list for a special reason.
So here it is, world... in no particular order, my list of 101 adventures for 2011:
1) (Re)Join Weight Watchers
2) Find a church to call “our church”
3) Run a 10K
4) Organize my pantry
5) Rock a swimming suit (no matter the size)
6) Buy a bike
7) Draw up a budget (and stick to it)
8) Buy a ukulele
9) Learn to play the ukulele
10) Try snowboarding
11) Move out of my apartment and into somewhere better
12) Get a new cellphone
13) Knit a hat and scarf
14) Take a creative class
15) Take a leap of faith
16) Lose 30 pounds
18) Host a dinner party
19) Eat vegan for one week
20) Get a drastic haircut
21) Spend a week on the beach
22) Climb a mountain
23) Go without fast food for six months
24) Recreate an awesome restaurant meal
25) Plan a themed party
26) Make sun tea
27) Read “The Omnivore’s Dilemma” and "In Defense of Food"
28) Create a vision board
29) Plan a surprise date for the Hubz
30) Take a weekend trip to Chicago
31) Have the best 1 year anniversary EVER!
32) Get a puppy
33) Make a unique cupcake flavor
34) Make homemade hummus
35) Fill my recipe box
36) Spend an entire day with my little sister
37) Tell someone about Jesus
38) Go for a run in the city
39) Go dancing with the girls
40) Buy an entire outfit at a thrift store
41) Go on a shopping spree
42) Buy Kona coffee in Hawaii
43) Devote 3 hours to prayer and meditation
44) Go to a MN Twins game
45) Bike somewhere I would normally walk to
46) Bring food to a food shelf
47) Play soccer with the Hubz
48) Make homemade nut butter
49) Successfully grow a basil plant (for longer than 2 weeks)
50) Sleep under the stars
51) Decorate my kitchen
52) Send a care package to a friend
53) Buy something cute at Crate and Barrel
54) Do something nice for a stranger
55) Go on a picnic
56) Create my own granola bars
57) Make a different breakfast every day for a week
58) Learn to use a “real” camera
59) Figure out that whole Twitter thing
60) Make a conscious decision to be joyful
61) Memorize a chapter of the Bible
62) Join a small group
63) Create an aircheck that I’m proud of
64) Kill a spider
65) Cook a live lobster
66) Make a decision to stick with it… even when it sucks
67) Make a tea tree
68) Visit the Saint Paul farmers market in the winter
69) Buy a new pair of glasses
70) Make my on laundry soap
71) Go on a date that is 100% free
72) Make more homemade magnets
73) Make a purse (with a fabric flower, of course)
74) Complete my espresso bar
75) Create motivational cards to put around the house
76) Fix my HRM
77) Buy something from Etsy
78) Go deer hunting with the Hubz
79) Call an old friend just to say hi
80) Send an e-card
81) Finish wedding Thank You notes
82) Make OIAJ (Oats in a Jar)
83) Visit 5 coffee shops that I've never been to in the Twin Cities
84) Eat a pomegranate
85) Go for a run… in the winter
86) Create beautiful latte art
87) Make the ultimate workout playlist
88) Do yoga in the morning
89) Do the 30 day shred… for real
90) Go to a cupcake shop
91) Organize with mason jars
92) Play the Newlywed Game
93) Go on a double date
94) Have a burger at Burger Jones
95) Run around Lake Calhoun
96) Go skating at landmark center
97) Make homemade chai
98) Find out what that yummy corn bread pudding stuff is at Mexican restaurants… and then make it
99) Go to a DCI show
100) Make a conscious decision to look on the bright side
101) Eat at a raw food restaurant
Follow me as I strive to bring adventure back into my life.
The only question is, can you keep up with me?