Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Curry Comfort

I don't know about you, but winter puts me in the mood for comfort food.  Warm, delicious, hearty dishes that not only warm up the belly, but warm up your soul.  Sometimes I swear I should have grown up in the south because I am all about the soul food, baby.

Besides the obvious macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes and apple pie, my comfort foods tend to be a little odd...

Bad day at work?  Bring on the buffalo wings.
Angry with the hubz?  Brie, crackers and fig jam will do the trick.
Need to just feel warm and cozy?  Curry, baby, curry.

It's just been in the past year that I've fallen in love with Thai curry... in LOVE, I tell you.  There's just something about the spiciness from the curry paste and the sweetness from the coconut milk that can turn an awful day into an I-have-the-day-off-and-am-lying-on-the-couch-watching-chickflicks-and-eating-salted-caramel-chocolates-in-my-yoga-pants-and-oversized-sweatshirt-just-because-I-can type of awesome day.  It really is that good.  Seriously, it's so.freaking.good. GAH!!

This recipe would be awesome with chicken as well, if shrimp isn't your thing.  Or you could even leave out the rice noodles and serve the curry over rice.  It's so versatile, and super delicious no matter which way you prepare it!  You could also use light coconut milk, but I always think the light stuff leaves a bit to be desired, though it does make the recipe lower in fat.


Thai Curry Soup with Shrimp
Adapted from Weight Watchers

1 pound uncooked shrimp
12 oz low-fat evaporated milk
12 oz canned coconut milk
1 cup water
3 Tbsp thai curry paste, red or green
Red pepper flakes, to taste
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups chopped mushrooms
3 oz packaged rice noodles
Cilantro, for garnish

1.  Pat shrimp dry with paper towels.  Spray a nonstick skillet with olive oil spray and heat over medium heat.  Season shrimp with salt and pepper to taste, then cook in skillet until just opaque.  Set aside.
2. Combine the evaporated milk, coconut milk, water, curry paste and red pepper flakes (I like my curry REALLY spicy so I add a lot of pepper flakes, but it's totally up to you) in a large pot set over high heat; bring just to a simmer.  Add the bell pepper, mushrooms and rice noodles; bring back to a simmer.  Adjust the heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are just tender, 8-10 minutes.
3. Stir in the shrimp and continue cooking until heated through, about 3 minutes more.  Ladle into bowls and top each portion with cilantro, to taste.

Yields 6 (1 cup) servings.  WW P+: 8 per serving (P+ calculated using the weightwatchers.com recipe builder)

K.

P.S. Go make this... NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment